Hello and welcome!
I’m Joyce and this is my blog.
I’m first and foremost a mum (but if my husband is reading, make that first and foremost a wife).
I’m a jewellery designer and founder of my label JL Heart.
I’m a marketing and design enthusiast.
And I’m a foodie.
So in short, I understand what it means to be a woman today. Too many hats, but just one head.
And I hope to make your life simpler, and perhaps bring a smile to your face, with my blog.
Ready to read more on what I think about jewellery, design and life in general?
Wanna know a little more about me?
Here are some random facts!
- I came up with the name Butter and Gems for this blog because I love butter, and I love gems. But seriously, click here to read why I named my blog Butter and Gems.
- I’m an auditor by training, a professional manicurist, a false eyelashes designer and jewellery designer. I used to work in one of the big six auditing firms back in the days…
- I started one of the earliest nail salon chains in Singapore called Fave Nails. Ring a bell? So we’re about the same age then! 🙂
- My parents both have double eyelids but I have single eyelids. My mum told me that she had single eyelids up until one day when she was 15 years old when she miraculously woke up with double eyelids. Needless to say, I woke up disappointed every day of my life when I was fifteen. Today, at 41, I can tell you that I really don’t care anymore. I’m just glad that I can still see with these eyes I’m blessed with.
- I tried for a long time before I managed to have kids. The process of trying was very fun, but also very trying. The journey to motherhood taught me lots about myself, and continues to.
- The false eyelashes I designed are called Star Lash, and were sold in Watsons, Sasa and other departmental stores. Do you own any of them? #showmeyourlashes!
- I spend a lot of time everyday drinking lots of water, and going to the toilet. It’s really a time sucker, but I get hopelessly thirsty!
- I love to work with my hands, whether it’s making jewellery for JL Heart, baking or gardening. I believe I got this from my maternal grandmother who was a Nyonya.
- I love colour gemstones so much that these days, I’m dressed mostly in white or black so that my clothes don’t overwhelm my jewellery. Does that make sense to you?
This blog is about things close to my heart. And I’ve got a BIG heart, so there’re lots of things to share with you. Read to find out more? Come on in!